Time – 25 minutes
Serves – 4 person
250 g loaf of day old bread torn into chunks
500 g mixed cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp a high quality red wine vinegar
1 ripe avocado stoned, peeled and chopped
1 red onion mandolin sliced
2 tbsp pickled caperberries
1 large clove of garlic crushed
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
A handful of fresh mixed basil leaves
1. In a small bowl, mix garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil and bread pieces. Toss well to coat everything. Place in a large non-stick pan and bake on low-medium heat for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat oven to 180 C. In a large oven tray, place the tomatoes, sprinkle with little olive oil and roast until beginning to char. It usually takes 10-15 minutes. Once done, set aside to cool.
3. In a bowl, mix the thinliy sliced onions with a pinch of salt. Leave to stand for 10 minutes. It will begin to soften quickly.
4. Place avocados, capers and all the rest into a large salad bowl and sprinkle with the remaining 3 tbsp olive oil and red wine vinegar. Gently mix the salad.
5. Sprinkle basil leaves and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.