Mango sticky rice – A Thai dessert combining warm sticky rice cooked in coconut milk and served with fresh slices of mango and toasted yellow mung beans.
It is a authentic-tasting very popular national dessert in Thailand and loved the world over.
You can also see that sometimes the sticky rice is served with durian in Thailand.
Salted coconut sauce is a simple yet important component of the mango sticky rice.
It must taste mildly sweet with a hint of saltiness, serving as a bland base for other toppings such as mangoes or durian sauce.
An overly sweet coconut milk sticky rice will not be able to give its topping a flavor contrast.
For the rice
1 cup glutinous rice (Thai sweet rice)
1.5 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 tsp pink himalayan salt
For the coconut sauce
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 tsp tapioca
A pinch pink himalayan salt
2 large mangoes sliced or cubed
Fried hulled yellow split mung beans
1. In a sieve, rinse your rice well under running water. Then fill the pot with cold water and let it sit for at least 1 hour.
2. Once time is up, strain and rinse again. Add fresh water approx. 1.5 cups.
3. Bring to boil until rice is tender.
4. Meanwhile place 1 cup coconut milk, 1/4 cup coconut sugar and 1/4 tsp salt in a small pot. Bring to boil the mixture to dissolve the sugar for about 1-2 minutes. Be aware: if you use coconut sugar, your rice will get brown. You might want to add other sweeteners like erythritol, monk fruit sweetener, agave, light maple etc.
5. Stir the rice in the sauce.
6. Cover the lid of the pot, let it sit at least 45-50 minutes. The rice will seem soupy when you add the coconut mixture. But after cooling in the fridge for 45-50 minutes as instructed, it firms up and is wonderful. If you want to speed up the process you can sit it in the fridge.
7. To make coconut sauce for serving, place the coconut milk, tapioca and salt in a pan, bring the boil and let it simmer over medium heat until thickened.
8. Put about 1/3 cup sticky rice on each plate. Arrange with mango, pour coconut sauce over the rice and sprinkle fried yellow mung beans. Enjoy!
Storage: Mango sticky rice is best consumed in the same day it is made because the sticky rice’s texture will not be as good once refrigerated and reheated.