10 g instant yeast
15 g coconut sugar
2 tbsp warm water
1/2 bunch fresh basil (optional)
250 g tapioca
100 g brown rice flour
90 g glutinous rice flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric (optional)
1. Start by activating the yeast. In a bowl, add the instant yeast, 15 g of coconut sugar, 2 tbsp water. Mix together. Let it sit for 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be foamy and bubbly.
2. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, mix the tapioca, brown rice flour, baking soda, salt, turmeric and glutinous rice flour together.
3. Place fresh basil in a blender, mix with a little bit water, then strain using a strainer. Transfer the mixture to the flour mixture. Add the foaming mixture to the flour mixture as well. Combine together.
4. Knead the dough in the bowl. The dough should moist and a bit wet but not sticky. If the dough feels dry add a bit of liquid.
5. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave the dough in a warm place for an hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
6. Divide the dough into 16-18 equal sized pieces and roll each ball between your hands before flattening it and pressing it into an oval shape and folding it over. Repeat with the remaining dough balls.
7. Place each bun on a piece of baking parchment paper and place in a bamboo steamer.
8. Steam for about 12 minutes, or until the buns have puffed up and are firm and cooked through.
9. Take them off the baking parchment and slice them with the fold and fill with desired fillings. We filled with fishless vegan fillets (see the recipe below) + avocado mayo + onions, tomatoes, basil and microgreens.
TIP: These buns also freeze very well. Just pop and heat in the oven at 200 C for 5-6 minutes before serving.
Vegan Fishless Fillets
400 g oyster mushrooms
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 tbsp tapioca
1 tsp pink himalayan salt
1 tsp seaweed powder (kelp, nori, wakame)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs for coating (use packaged one or scratch-made recipe can be found in our FOOD WE LOVE cookbook)
Olive oil for frying in the pan
1. Shred the mushrooms and transfer them to the food processor along with the salt, seaweed, and lemon, mix together.
2. Add the rice flour and tapioca, pulse it two-three times. Shape them you prefer then coat them with the gf bread crumb.
3. Fry them in a little bit hot oil, for 2 minutes per side on medium heat.
4. Serve them in the buns along with red onions, tomatoes, microgreens and avocado mayo.
Asian Bao Buns with Fishless Fillets (Gluten-Free & Vegan)