Time: 15 minutes prep + 20 minutes cooking
1 kg peeled cleaned pumpkin chunks
250 g leeks
1 large red onion
6 garlic cloves
1.5 lt filtered water + more as needed to thin
2 tbsp olive oil or vegetable broth
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp dried juniper berries
1 tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
1 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
Lemon wedges to serve
Sauted kale to serve
1. Peel, chop and add the leeks, onion, garlic cloves in a deep pot. Add olive oil or vegetable broth to saute for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
2. Then add the pumpkin chunks. Continue to saute for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Then add the water, bay leaf, juniper berries, mustard seeds, cayenne, salt and pepper.
4. Cook for 20 minutes or until pumpkins are soften enough.
5. Once done, remove bay leaf from the pot. Transfer mixture in a high speed blender (I use Blendtec Wide-side jar). Add the cinnamon, salt and pepper.
6. Blend on soup mode, until silky smooth. Taste and check the consistency, adjust if needed, add more water or salt.
7. Divide between bowls, serve with sautéed crispy kale and lemon wedges.
Pumpkin Leek Soup with Crispy Kale