Nyponsoppa is a Swedish soup made from foraged rose hips, cooked with citrus fruit, spices and sweet wine. It is served as a beverage or as a dessert with milk, cream or vanilla ice cream along with small almond biscuits. In my version I cooked rosehips with orange and lemon peels, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg I served with coconut cream and toasted sliced almonds.
400 g fresh rosehips
900 ml of cold water
Zest of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
1 fresh lemon juice
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/8 tsp clove powder
2 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp sweet, white dessert wine
2-3 tbsp tapioca flour
Whipped coconut cream
1.Trim the top and end and cut in half. De-seed and remove fine hairs.
2. Roughly chop and dry in the dehydrator at 46 C for 5 hours or at 50 C in the oven for 3 hours.
3. Use a sieve to separate the shells from the seeds and most importantly from the fine hairs.
4. Add the water to a deep pot, transfer the rosehips, add the orange zest, lemon zest, cinnamon, clove and nutmeg.
5.Bring to a boil, then simmer for at least 5 minutes for the flavours to develop.
6. Add the maple and wine and reheat to a simmer. Add the tapioca, and keep stirring until the soup thickens.
7. Then add a generous splash of fresh lemon juice and more wine to taste. Simmer for a few more minutes.
8.Let the soup cool a bit before serving with the whipped coconut cream and toasted almons. Enjoy.