Massaman which means muslim, a southern Thai Curry dish heavily influenced from Malaysian and Indian cuisines.
It is like a blend of Indian, Malaysian and Thai spices and flavours such as coconut, cashews, lemon grass, galangal, chilies with caradmom, cloves, cumin and nutmeg.
For the curry
2 shallots sliced
5 garlic cloves minced
2 thai red chilies
1 tbsp galangal freshly minced or use powder
1 stalk lemongrass minced
1/4 cup dry roasted cashews
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
For the massaman
150 g al-dente cooked potatoes
100 g al-dente cooked carrots
150 g firm tofu or mushrooms cubed (optional)
50 g green peas
400 ml coconut cream
1 cup vegetable stock
1 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp tamari 2 tbsp coconut aminos to season
1 tbsp coconut sugar to season
Salt and black pepper to taste
Fresh chili and microgreens to serve
Lemon wedges to serve
1. Cook and peel your potatoes and carrot. Cut in cubes and set aside.
2. To make curry, first prepare the lemongrass by trimming the tough exterior layers. Char lemongrass along with other aromatics and toast up the spices to wake up the flavours even more. Once done, all the ingredients go into the food processor until a paste is formed. Scrape down the sides and add water if needed.
3. Heat a pan, transfer the massaman curry paste to the pan.
4. Add half of the coconut cream, stir and bring to a boil.
5. Add the remaining coconut cream, vegetable stock and bring to boil.
6. Add first the tofu or mushrooms (if you are using) and simmer for 3 minutes, Then stir in the peas, simmer about 3 minutes until al dente.
7. Stir in the cooked potatoes and carrots, then wait a couple of minutes before seasoning to taste with tamari or coconut aminos, salt, pepper and coconut sugar.
8. Add the cashews and simmer for 2 more minutes and before removing from the heat. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves (if you don’t like coriander, add microgreens of your choice), fresh chili peppers , lemon wedges (optional) and with Thai rice (rice berry, jasmine or mixed rice of your choice) Enjoy!