Spiral potato skewers , tornado – or twisted potatoes as they are also called – are good for everything from casserole dishes, salad and soups to burgers and falafel. Especially with a good dip, such a serving can complete a meal or be served as a wonderful snack.
In this recipe, I season the twisted potatoes with dill and flake salt. But you can season with just what you feel like. It may depend a bit on what you want to serve for. If it’s for a burger, the classic french fries or just a little paprika is obvious. If you serve with tofu, thyme and / or rosemary is the way to go.
500 g Yukon gold potatoes
40 g olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh dill
1 teaspoon flake salt
1. Turn the oven to 200 degrees.
2. Wash and dry your potatoes, using a mandoline slice them thinly, then put on the top of each other. Using a sharp chef knife, cut the edges and shape it into a square. Repeat the process for the rest of potatoes.
3. Insert a skewer through the center of the potato cubes.
4. Carefully pull the potato spirals apart so that there is a distance between the slices.
5. Brush with olive oil and season with dill or your favorite spice and flake salt.
6. Place the potato spirals in an ovenproof dish and place them so that the skewers rest on the edges of the dish.
7. Bake the potatoes for 30 minutes, until golden and tender.
8. Serve if necessary, with a homemade vegan tartar sauce or mayo.
1/2 cup homemade vegan mayo (or store-bought)
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp maple syrup
2 tbsp finely diced dill pickles
2 tbsp finely diced shallot
A pinch chili flakes
A pinch salt or as needed
1.In a mixing bowl whisk together vegan mayo, dijon mustard, lemon juice, and maple syrup until well combined.
2. Add chopped dill, diced shallot, salt, and pepper and stir until evenly combined.
3. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed, serve with your potatoes.