Homemade gluten free gnocchi sounds tricky, but the actual process is pretty easy — and well worth the effort! Since we don’t like to consume chickpeas, we used a blend of buckwheat and oat flour. You can also replace your favorite flour. Try our delicious gf version!
1 kg Yukon Gold potatoes
2 cups buckwheat or oat flour
1 cup tapioca flour
1/2 tsp salt
1. Peel and chop the potatoes. Then transfer to a deep pot with salted water. Cook them for 12-15 minutes until tender. Transfer to the pot. Using a potato masher, mash them well.
2. Add 1 cup buckwheat or preferred flour and knead with your hands, continue to add another cup flour and knead until you have desired consistency. It should be fine to handle , not too sticky not too dry. Add more flour if you need, it depends on the water in the potato.
3. Cut the dough in equal sized pieces. Dust with little bit tapioca flour.
4. Roll each piece to strands. Cut the dough into 1 inch pieces and form them into small balls with your hands.
5. Using the back of the fork, make ridges on your gnocchi.
6. Add your gnocchi in a salted boiling water. Once it is risen to the surface, remove them. It usually takes 2 minutes.
7. Serve with your favorite sauce. We have used a mixture of tomato, garlic, basil , olive oil and seaweed.