6 large bell peppers (any color or 10-12 medium-small peppers)
1/4 cup olive oil
3 garlic cloves minced
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1 cup bulgur +1 cup water
4-5 medium tomatoes1 teaspoon of sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 tsp sumac
1 large damson plum chopped
1/2 cup parsley (flat leaf, fresh, and finely chopped)
Vegan parmesan to serve
Cornflower petals to decorate
- Cut a 1/2 to 3/4 inch cap off the top of the peppers. scoop out and discard seeds and any excess white pulp. Rinse well and set aside to drain. Keep the cap to use later.
- In a large skillet, sauté the onion, damson plums and garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Add bulgur and stir to coat with oil. Stir in tomatoes with juice, 1 cup of water, tomato paste, salt, sumac and pepper, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in parsley to distribute well and remove from heat. Let rest for 6-7 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 190°C. Using a teaspoon, stuff the peppers loosely to within 1/4 inch of the top.
- Place peppers upright in a baking dish, to fit snugly so they won’t tip. Place caps on top, add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the dish and cook in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the peppers have softened enough.
- Cool before serving. Enjoy at room temperature. Serve with vegan parmesan if desired.